Saturday, March 19, 2011

Newsy

Without giving too much personal detail away, this week I was asked to pull data for Florida's legislators that was like comparing apples to chimpanzees. These men (and women, but mostly men) don't know the specifics of the program I work with and request information that makes no sense if one looks at it side-by-side. Hence, the title of this blog. I'm not sure what I want to make of this new endeavor; I only know that I want to write each day, provide a little snapshot into my daily goings-ons.

Something inside me seems to be stretching and reaching with changes. I was accepted as a junior one week ago into the local university's Creative Writing program. I received a promotion at work two weeks ago and my responsibilities seem to have tripled. Other, smaller changes are being made and it feels like I'm not an active participant in my life, but yet I adapt. Am adapting. It's incongruous with my old self. I am morphing into a new me and kind of like it!

Change is inherently scary and I used to not handle it well--anything new might throw me into a tailspin, make me shut down and curl into a metaphoric ball. But lately, change has been welcome and I embrace it. Sure, I embrace it with shaky arms and trembling hands, but embrace it just the same.

Comparisons can be made with similar objects--like apples to oranges. They're both round, both fruits, both have seeds inside, both taste sweet and are juicy. But comparisons sometimes work if you have two disparate objects--apples and say, chimpanzees. Trying to find their similarities instead can highlight how different they are. How unique.And if I strive to be anything, it's unique. Me. Only one of 'em in the whole universe. (Well, that I know of.)

No comments:

Post a Comment